SAN FRANCISCO TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER
Gene Halavanau represents individuals in all aspects of personal injury. Our experienced team is dedicated to holding negligent parties accountable and helping injured people to obtain the compensation they deserve. The accidents happen, and when they do, we help our clients navigate through the complex waters of the insurance industry, allowing them to focus on healing and recovery from the injuries. We take most of our cases on a contingency basis, meaning that we are only paid when we recover money from the other side.
Truck accidents are both traumatizing and devastating. This unfortunate tragedy happens every day from all over the world. Every day, lives are being taken by this catastrophe.
Most truck incident victims face severe injuries that affect their daily lives. They also suffer extreme economic damages because of the costly medical expenses.
Gene Halavanau at Halavanu Law Office has the experience and knowledge to hold the responsible party accountable for the damages.
Table of Contents
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER TODAY
An experienced truck accident lawyer has the necessary skill set to help you win a case.
Skilled truck accident lawyers can effectively handle the communication between you and the insurance company. They will not let you receive less compensation than what you deserve.
Obtaining evidence to prove your case can be a lot of work. A truck injury attorney can assist you with gathering evidence at the accident site. They know exactly what to look for and can put together a solid argument to defend your side.
A truck personal injury lawyer will also handle all the legal groundwork for you. They process all the necessary documents needed so you can focus on making a full recovery from the incident.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON TRUCKING ACCIDENT FACTORS IN SAN FRANCISCO?
It might be easy to blame the truck driver, but several factors need to be considered before pointing fingers. Factors included are as follow:
An Error From The Truck Driver
Negligent truck drivers are the leading cause of truck accidents. Truck drivers who lack attention and focus while driving and are fatigued have an increased chance of causing a collision with other cars.
This is not to say that truck drivers are primarily at fault for all of the accidents. The truck drivers, however, are often pressured to meet deadlines and reach their destinations on time, leading to mistakes.
An Error From The Other Driver
Commercial trucks are not the only ones that can cause truck accidents. Distracted driving could also come from another driver. When a car driver is preoccupied with other things, they could cause a fatal car crash.
This only goes to say that roadway safety is everyone’s responsibility. Drivers are required to exercise care and full road attention when driving.
Poor Maintenance Of The Truck
Maintenance checks are mandatory, especially for commercial vehicles. These vehicles travel many miles every day. Unmaintained trucks often lead to a vehicular breakdown and tire problems when overused. Trucks are required to do regular maintenance as a preventive measure against truck crashes. Poor maintenance can lead to a mechanical failure, which can, in turn, cause a truck accident.
Driving in harsh weather is a tricky thing. Drivers must exercise extreme care and caution when driving through heavy rain or heavy fog, for example. Drivers should not risk traveling through severe weather conditions. Failing to appreciate such risk may lead to truck accidents.
Poor Roadway Maintenance
An unmaintained road could cause potholes and bumps. These road damages could threaten the safety of any car driver driving. If the road defect caused an accident, the entities responsible for designing and maintaining the road may be liable for damages as a result of a truck accident.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER A TRUCK ACCIDENT IN SAN FRANCISCO?
Victims of a commercial truck accident may feel disoriented after the collision. You might be confused about what just happened, and you don’t know how to take action.
After a truck accident, you need to call 911. This is an emergency, and any injuries sustained should be attended to as soon as possible.
The tension is going to be at its peak after an accident. But you should avoid accepting responsibility for what happened for the purpose of diffusing the situation. Take all evidence and information available, including the truck driver’s name, company, and plate number. You can also ask for a witness testimony if anyone is around.
Always request a police report after the accident. This is often vital when submitting medical claims to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
INJURIES THAT TRUCK ACCIDENT VICTIMS SUFFER
Truck accident victims suffer from different injuries after a traffic accident. The injuries sustained rely on several factors like the vehicle’s size, the car’s speed, and which body part received the initial impact from the crash.
These injuries could be severe and cause permanent damage to a victim’s life. Some of these injuries are listed as follows:
- Traumatic brain injury: Traumatic brain injury is severe brain damage caused by a violent force thumping the head. This could impair the victim’s life to continue his or her daily life.
- Severe fractures: Fractures happen when the body takes heavy pressure that breaks the bone structure. Some fractures are extremely severe in that they lose the function of the injured body part.
- Internal organ damages: Truck collisions are high-impact accidents that can cause severe injuries to the body. Internal organ damage is critical because not every organ in the body can heal itself.
- Paralysis: Paralysis is either partial or total. This means that it can only affect a particular part of your body, or it can affect its entirety. Violent truck accidents could damage the spine or portion of the brain, which leads to paralysis.
- Lacerations: A victim of trucking accidents experience deep cuts from dislodged car parts. This is a common injury sustained by most car accident victims. Severe lacerations could lead to immense blood loss.
The injured party from a truck accident can request compensation from the at-fault driver. An experienced truck accident attorney can help you ask for coverage on the injuries sustained.
PROVING LIABILITY IN A TRUCK ACCIDENT
People who are injured in truck accidents in San Francisco and throughout the Bay Area due to the negligence of others have legal options available to them. Many victims are able to file legal claims against at-fault parties to obtain compensation for their injuries and damages. There are various routes victims can pursue legally. Some of the most common types of lawsuits filed after a truck accident in the Bay Area include:
Negligence Lawsuits: When truck drivers or other parties to the accident fail to perform in a safe manner, they can be held liable for accidents they cause. Many victims in Northern California seek compensation from at-fault parties by filing legal claims against them. When filing a legal claim, victims must be able to demonstrate that the at-fault party acted negligently. This includes demonstrating that the following elements of negligence existed:
- Duty of Care: Victims must prove that the truck driver owed them a duty of care while sharing the road.
- Breach of Duty: The defendant breached the duty of care in some manner. Some ways parties breach the duty of care include driving under the influence, using drugs, working over the hour limits imposed, and driving recklessly.
- Injury: As a result of the breach of duty, you suffered an injury.
- Damages: The injury caused by the breach of duty resulted in damages. Personal injuries and the destruction of vehicles and other property constitute common damages surrounding truck accident claims.
Product Liability: There are numerous cases where victims are injured in truck accidents due to defective and malfunctioning parts. In these cases, victims can file legal claims against manufacturers and various other parties via product liability laws. Some of the successful product liability claims require victims to prove the following:
- A defect existed
- The manufacturer knows about the defect or should have known about it but still made the product available for purchase
- You suffered an injury
- The injury was caused by the defect
There are instances where manufacturers can be held liable for injuries and damages even if they are unaware that the defect existed. There are also instances where retailers and various other parties can be held liable for accidents caused by defective products. Working with a skilled truck accident attorney in San Francisco will help you prove that the defect existed and that the defect led to your injuries and damages.
Wrongful Death: When victims lose their lives in truck accidents, due to the negligence of others, their families can pursue legal action against the negligent parties as well. These claims are filed under wrongful death laws and enable families to obtain compensation for a variety of damages they face moving forward.
LIABLE PARTIES FOR TRUCK ACCIDENTS IN SAN FRANCISCO
After being injured in a truck accident, people are able to file legal claims against those at fault. It is important to recognize that there are several parties who can be found liable for truck accidents in Northern California. In some cases, multiple parties share liability for an accident. Some parties commonly named in truck accident lawsuits include:
- The driver of the truck
- The manufacturer of the truck
- The manufacturer of the truck parts
- The truck driver’s employer
- The truck driver
- The owner of the truck
- The owners of the company that owns the truck
- The municipality where the accident occurred
- Third-party vehicles
- Maintenance companies
- Cargo loading companies
Working with a responsive and effective attorney from Halavanau Law Office in San Francisco after being injured in a truck accident is a victim’s best bet for getting the justice and compensation they rightfully deserve.
COMPENSATION AVAILABLE FOR TRUCK ACCIDENT INJURIES
California law states that the injured party is entitled to recover compensation from the at-fault driver. Compensation from the accident includes coverage of medical expenses and future medical payments.
Damages in the victim’s life, such as lost wages and pain and suffering, are also qualified to recover.
The family of a victim can demand compensation for wrongful death if the victim dies as a result of the accident. The at-fault party should cover the expenses that come with the victim’s death.
The injured party should consult with a truck accident attorney for a case evaluation. They can help determine the appropriate amount a victim should receive from the accident.
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE A TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER?
Hiring a truck accident lawyer is beneficial for the victim. The legal team will provide legal assistance in processing a truck accident case. From gathering solid evidence and filing for a lawsuit, a truck wreck lawyer will help you through it all.
Trucking companies will defend their side to prevent the liability from falling on their shoulders. Our personal injury lawyer will provide legal representation so you can get the best possible outcome.
A lawyer will also handle the communication between you and the insurance company so they can’t lowball you into accepting low or reduced payment.
TRUCK ACCIDENT STATISTICS IN SAN FRANCISCO AND CALIFORNIA
National Safety Council reported that in the year 2019, 5,005 trucks were involved in a fatal crash. This is an increase from the data reported on the previous year.
- 2019: 5,005 involved trucks
- 2018: 4,909 involved trucks
- 2017: 4,805 involved trucks
- 2016: 4,562 involved trucks
- 2015: 4,075 involved trucks
In the same data, they reported Texas with the most number of deaths related to truck accidents. California came in second, and Florida placed third.
- Texas: 652 deaths
- California: 408 deaths
- Florida: 349 deaths
In San Francisco, Vision Zero SF reported 30 vehicular-related deaths in the year 2020. This statistic covers all types of vehicular incidents, including semi-truck accidents.
- 2020: 30 deaths
- 2019: 29 deaths
- 2018: 23 deaths
- 2017: 20 deaths
- 2016: 32 deaths
HOW CAN HALAVANAU LAW OFFICE, P.C. HELP YOU IN YOUR TRUCK ACCIDENT CLAIM?
Halavanau Law Office, P.C. houses a great San Francisco truck accident lawyer. Our truck injury lawyer has the necessary experience in handling traffic truck incidents and has won many accident lawsuits.
Our law firm offers free case review and consultation. In truck accidents, our primary goal is for you to receive maximum compensation. Our injury attorney is an expert in the personal injury field, and we assure you that we always put our clients’ best interests first.
We offer legal representation against individuals, large corporations, and insurance companies to ensure that you receive the best outcome. We function on a contingency basis, which means that we are only paid when we win your case and obtain compensation for you.
Our team provides a variety of services for our clients, including:
- Dealing with insurance companies: It is very common for insurance companies to try to take advantage of accident victims. After collisions, the insurance companies of at-fault drivers will often offer small settlements to victims or try to trick victims into taking the blame for the collision. We handle communication with insurance companies to make sure they do not take advantage of victims.
- Investigating the accident: Our truck accident legal team will investigate the circumstances surrounding your truck accident to determine who is at fault. We will review all aspects surrounding your crash and name all accountable parties. Furthermore, Halavanau Law Office will gather evidence from the scene, obtain a copy of the police report, examine medical records, and gather witness testimony in support of our client’s claims. We strive to put together solid claims for victims to ensure they get the justice and compensation they deserve.
- Handle Paperwork: Halavanau Law Office understands that time is crucial when it comes to victims protecting their legal rights. For this reason, we strive to file all documents on time and accurately every time, so our clients are able to pursue justice after being harmed in an accident.
- Maintain Open Communication with Victims: Our legal team maintains open and continual communication with victims throughout the entire duration of their claims. We work diligently to ensure victims are aware of what is happening every step of their claims process. Our team will answer any questions our clients may have about their claims.
- Help Victims Recover: Halavanau Law Office in San Francisco provides aggressive legal representation to ensure victims are able to hold wrongdoers accountable. We put together strong cases on behalf of truck accident victims and fight aggressively to negotiate full and fair settlements whenever possible. When we are unable to come to settlement agreements, we provide effective legal representation to victims in court to ensure they obtain the outcome they expect for their viable claims.
We are dedicated to helping our clients move forward after life-changing accidents. Our team strives to help victims obtain the maximum amount of compensation and gain a sense of financial, mental, and emotional stability to help them move on from their traumatic accidents. Contact the truck accident legal team at Halavanau Law Office in San Francisco to discuss legal options available for you.
SAN FRANCISCO TRUCK ACCIDENT FAQs
Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions about San Francisco truck accidents.
Fault can be complicated in a semi-truck crash. There are several factors needed to be considered before placing a ‘fault’ on a party in a semi-truck collision.
Factors may include the trucker’s driving, trucking companies’ conduct, maintenance of the semi-truck, and weight of the load. Other factors, such as comparative or contributory fault by other parties, should also be considered.
It is advisable not to move a vehicle after a crash. But, if it’s causing a roadblock, make sure to take photographic evidence before moving the car, if it is safe to do so. Moving the car might prevent accurate assessment of fault. You need to check, however, if traffic is completely stopped and it is safe to exit the vehicle to take photographs before moving the vehicle to the shoulder. You should not exit the vehicle if it is not safe to do so.
If you are the victim, make sure that you gather information from the at-fault driver. These include the driver’s name, license plate number, address information, contact information, and insurance information. Additional information such as the driver’s work information is also helpful in establishing fault and parties at fault.
It is advisable to speak with a qualified lawyer first before taking any settlement offer. Your lawyer can advise you if the offer is appropriate and reasonable.
Contact a truck accident lawyer as quickly as possible. The sooner the lawyer starts collecting evidence, the better. The lawyer you select can gather all available evidence and process your compensation request based on the facts of each particular case.
Commercial truck accidents are different from car accident claims because the former would frequently involve the trucker’s employer. A truck crash also causes more severe injuries as compared to a regular passenger car accident. A victim can file a lawsuit against the truck driver, trucking company, or the driver’s employer to seek recovery.
If your car is damaged by flying debris, you must obtain the truck’s plate number. Speak with the driver and inform them of what happened. Observe if the truck is in an unacceptable condition to drive. You can also speak with the truck company to tell them what happened.
Entities liable for a truck accident case can potentially include the truck driver, the maintenance team, the truck manufacturer, the driver’s employer, and even governmental entities responsible for designing and maintaining the road where the accident happens.
TALK TO A SAN FRANCISCO TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY
A truck accident is a devastating and traumatic event that can happen to someone’s life. When trying to do the legal process for obtaining compensation on your own, you may not be able to achieve and successfully win your case due to the complexities of the legal process. This is where personal injury lawyers come into play. Our skilled injury accident attorney can help you if you are facing this situation. It is essential to act fast in a truck collision.