SAN FRANCISCO LYFT ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
The emergence of rideshare companies provided alternative modes of transportation for many people. The two major players in the ridesharing industry are Uber and Lyft. Both rideshare companies helped give people affordable, safe, and convenient rides.
It is undeniable that Uber and Lyft revolutionized transportation. There is less need to buy cars since both Uber and Lyft are mobile applications. All you need is to download the application, create your account, book a ride, and pay through the same application for your ride.
However, not every Uber or Lyft ride successfully provides convenience and safety. Rideshare accidents occur in many cities around California. Many Uber and Lyft passengers suffer debilitating injuries due to these accidents. These injuries are often aggravated by the expensive medical bills and physical suffering.
Car accidents happen all the time, but the victims should demand accountability from those at fault. In fact, an Uber or Lyft accident involves public interest since the general public’s safety is at stake. A passenger who is also a victim of an Uber and Lyft accident has remedies available.
With the help of Lyft accident lawyers, victims can assert their right to compensation. Such compensation covers property damage or injuries sustained by the passengers. These lawyers are also personal injury attorneys. They have the knowledge and experience to defend your rights.
If you are involved in a San Francisco Uber and Lyft accident, do not hesitate to call an Uber and Lyft accident attorney at Halavanau Law Office, P.C.
Halavanau Law is a personal injury law firm based in San Francisco. Our law firm is experienced in handling cases involving Uber and Lyft accidents. Call us now at (415) 494-8535 for a free consultation with our San Franciso Lyft accident attorney.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONTACT AN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY AFTER A LYFT ACCIDENT IN SAN FRANCISCO?
Uber and Lyft drivers must ensure the safety and security of their passengers. The law requires extraordinary diligence from these Lyft drivers. This diligence aims to avoid accidents or other unfortunate events. However, some of these rideshare accidents still happen.
Fortunately, a Lyft car accident is not a dead-end for you to suffer alone. You may contact an experienced attorney to handle your case. Lyft accident attorneys know what you go through and how you can file a claim against those at fault. An attorney can guide you throughout the claims process. An attorney can also ensure valid insurance coverage and demand accountability from Lyft drivers.
Personal injury lawyers also represent victims in dealing with the insurance company concerned. An attorney can provide clear and convincing proof to prove your accident claims.
To help you understand further, here are some of the things a Lyft accident attorney can do for you:
- Investigate the Uber or Lyft accident case and gather relevant pieces of evidence to support your claim;
- Demand compensation from those liable;
- Represent your interests and defend your rights in court;
- Communicate with insurance companies to properly assert your right to compensation.
WHO IS LIABLE FOR YOUR INJURIES AFTER A LYFT ACCIDENT IN SAN FRANCISCO, CA?
Vehicles accidents in California adhere to a fault-based auto insurance policy. This means that the liable parties should provide financial compensation to those affected.
In an Uber or Lyft accident, the following are the ones that can potentially provide compensation for your injuries:
- The ridesharing company
- Insurance company of ridesharing companies
- Insurance company of the passengers
- Rideshare drivers (Uber or Lyft drivers) and their personal insurance
The liability of the persons listed above also depends on the circumstances. Usually, the insurance carriers for the ridesharing companies initially bear the burden of providing financial compensation to the victims of the negligent rideshare drivers, subject to policy limits. Afterward, the rideshare company can demand accountability from the drivers by disciplinary actions, termination of their independent contractor agreement, or some other method.
HOW DO YOU GET MONEY AFTER A LYFT CAR ACCIDENT IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA?
Companies that provide ridesharing services must provide insurance policies to protect their drivers. This insurance policy can also cover the injuries sustained by victims who are passengers or pedestrians.
Victims can typically go directly to the Lyft drivers’ insurance policy to demand compensation. Pieces of evidence required to prove one’s insurance claim may include the police report, medical expenses, expert reports, and other relevant information.
Your insurance claim would most likely depend on the following circumstances:
THE LYFT DRIVER WAS OFF DUTY
There are times when a Lyft driver is not logged in to the app. This is a case of an off-duty Lyft driver.
When an off-duty Lyft driver causes an accident injuring others, the victims can go after the driver’s personal insurance policy. California Law requires all Lyft drivers to obtain a personal insurance policy before operating their ridesharing vehicles.
However, some victims are at a disadvantage since they can only recover the maximum policy limit of the rideshare driver’s personal insurance policy, which typically has lower limits than Lyft.
THE LYFT DRIVER LOGGED INTO THE APP, WAITING FOR A RIDE REQUEST
If the Lyft driver logged into the app while waiting for a request, Lyft’s insurance company should cover your injuries. The following are the relevant provisions of Lyft’s insurance coverage for accident victims:
- $50,000 for each accident victim
- $100,000 total coverage for each of the Lyft accidents
- $30,000 coverage for the damage to property
Whether the Lyft driver’s personal liability insurance can be used depends on multiple factors and the language of the policies. Talk to an attorney to determine the best path to pursue insurance funds from Lyft or personal insurance policies.
THE LYFT DRIVER LOGGED INTO THE APP AND ACCEPTED A RIDE REQUEST
Upon acceptance of the ride request, the insurance coverage of Lyft should cover all accident costs for up to $1,000,000 as of the time of writing this article.
The Lyft insurance policy should be effective even if the passenger were not picked up yet.
Passengers need to take a screenshot of the application to prove the acceptance of the ride request by the Lyft driver.
WHAT COMPENSATION CAN I RECOVER IF I AM INJURED IN A SAN FRANCISO LYFT ACCIDENT?
As a Lyft accident victim, you are entitled to damages. However, recovering financial compensation may not be as simple as you think. In many cases, ridesharing companies try to avoid liabilities in several ways. They would prefer to trigger insurance coverage from the victim’s insurance company in some instances. This practice can be unfair since the driver or the rideshare company should bear the costs for your damages.
Recovery of compensation can either be from the Lyft driver, the company itself, or their insurance companies. With the help of an experienced San Francisco Lyft lawyer, you can seek accident claims for the following:
- Medical costs
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium with spouses
- Other non-economic damages, including pain and suffering and emotional trauma
When the Lyft accident involves another vehicle, the other vehicle’s owner can also demand property damage compensation. Your claim is best asserted with the help of accident attorneys who are equipped with the experience and knowledge to handle your case.
You can receive the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries through an accident lawyer. Call us now at Halavanau Law, P.C. for a free consultation.
WHAT CAUSES LYFT ACCIDENTS IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA?
Like other vehicular accidents, Uber and Lyft accidents are also common. These accidents happen due to a lack of foresight, inexperience, and failure to follow traffic rules. In many cases, there are Lyft drivers who have caused accidents in the following circumstances:
- Use of mobile devices while driving. While driving, the use of smartphones is also distracted driving, a practice prohibited by law.
- Sleepiness. Lyft drivers tend to work for the whole day and forget to rest. Lack of sleep can cause drowsiness which gives a higher probability of accidents.
- Speeding. Like any other car accident, going over the speed limit also increases the chances of accidents. Lyft drivers need to be responsible enough to follow traffic rules.
- DUI. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is very reckless when done by Lyft drivers. As drivers who offer services to the general public, they are duty-bound to exercise the utmost diligence.
- Defective vehicles. Part of the diligence required from drivers is to ensure proper maintenance of their vehicles. Proper maintenance of the Uber or Lyft vehicle also avoids further inconvenience on the part of the passengers.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO RIGHT AFTER YOUR LYFT ACCIDENT IN SAN FRANCISCO?
One must be vigilant and mindful when involved in a Lyft accident. Accidents happen unexpectedly, and it is essential to know what action to take. These actions can either mitigate or worsen the damages you sustained. To prevent further pain and suffering, know what to do when involved in a Lyft accident. The following are things you should do after the accident:
- Seek medical attention. Your injuries can be the difference between life and death. Do not prolong your sustained wounds and other medical concerns. Call an ambulance and seek immediate medical help.
- Gather relevant information. If possible, get your phone and take essential pieces of evidence you can gather. The license plate number and the name of the liable party are essential facts to know.
- Contact the police or other law enforcement authorities. The police must ensure the safety of everyone around the accident scene. They may also conduct further investigations to see who is at fault and the crimes committed.
- Consult a San Francisco Uber or Lyft accident attorney. A Lyft accident attorney will help you establish your Lyft accident claims. A San Francisco Lyft accident attorney can also speak to the insurance company concerned on your behalf. This step could be the most important because you’ll have someone to prioritize your interests and defend your rights.
WHY CHOOSE HALAVANAU LAW OFFICE, P.C. AS YOUR SAN FRANCISCO PERSONAL INJURY LAW FIRM?
Lyft accident cases involve negotiations with insurance companies and liable parties. In choosing a San Francisco Lyft car accident attorney for your Lyft accident case, you need someone dependable, professional, and experienced in handling personal injury cases.
Our San Francisco personal injury lawyer can provide you with the following:
- Represent clients in all dealings with insurance companies and liable parties;
- Speak on your behalf to attorneys for the other parties;
- Help you choose the best possible legal course of action based on California law;
- Ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries and other damages.
If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area or anywhere in California, do not hesitate to call us at Halavanau Law Office, P.C.
SAN FRANCISCO LYFT ACCIDENT FAQs
All car accident cases have a statute of limitations of two years from the date of the accident against private parties. Failure to adhere to this time limit will bar you from obtaining compensation from the at-fault party. Some statute of limitations can be as short as six months, and it is thus essential to reach out to a personal injury attorney to explore your options.
Companies that provide rideshare services provide insurance coverage of up to $1,000,000. Aside from the company insurance, you can also file a claim with the Uber or Lyft drivers’ insurance providers, if needed. Your personal auto insurance coverage may also cover some of your medical costs depending on coverage.
While you certainly can, it is not advisable for persons involved in a Lyft accident to speak directly with the rideshare company or their insurers. We suggest that you speak immediately with a lawyer who will protect your rights. A lawyer will also prevent other parties from taking advantage of your situation.
A passenger or any other person who is partly at fault in an accident can still recover damages from rideshare services. California law provides for the concept of “Comparative Negligence.” This concept provides that a plaintiff may recover compensation only based on the defendant’s percentage of fault.
Settlements are made to avoid lawsuits and prevent damage to the company’s reputation. The settlement amount will depend on many factors, including severity and permanency of injuries, past and future medical costs, lost income, and the injuries’ impact on the person’s daily life. It is common for Lyft or Uber to engage in settlement conversations with the counsel for the injured party early in the process.
The investigation and negotiation process in a Lyft accident may take days or months. This period can be longer. The time spent on investigations depends on the availability of the evidence.
Lyft provides insurance coverage that offers compensation of as much as $1,000,000 to Lyft accident victims, depending on a driver’s status. Your compensation will depend on the extent of injuries and whether the rideshare accident happened after booking a ride.
LYFT ACCIDENT ATTORNEY NEAR ME | CONTACT A SAN FRANCISCO LYFT ACCIDENT LAWYER FOR A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY
Halavanau Law Office, P.C. is a law firm based in San Francisco. Our law office represented clients from the San Francisco bay area and the rest of California. Our San Francisco Uber or Lyft accident lawyer is experienced in handling several Lyft accident cases. We’ve recovered millions in settlements for our clients. We have secured the maximum compensation for accident victims.
Schedule a free consultation with Halavanau Law by calling us at (415)494-8535. Our rideshare accident attorney provides free case evaluation. We honor our attorney-client relationship by providing high-quality legal representation. Do not hesitate to contact us and speak immediately with our injury lawyer.
- San Jose, CA – Man Killed in Hit-and-Run Pedestrian Accident at King & Story Rds
- San Jose, CA – Pedestrian Accident Claims Life on Monterey Hwy at San Jose Ave
- San Francisco, CA – Woman in Critical Condition After Pedestrian Accident in Alamo Square
- San Jose, CA – Man Killed in Pedestrian Accident at McKee Rd & Jose Figueres Ave
- Alameda, CA – Fred Zehnder Killed in Pedestrian Accident at Lincoln Ave & Walnut St